If there is no contribution to your EPF account for 36 months, it becomes an inoperative or Dormant EPF account. Earlier EPFO didn’t crediting any interest on inoperative EPF account, but from 1st April, 2016 you will get interest on even INOPERATIVE account.
Many times employees change their job and do not transfer their fund as it requires some follow up. And the account becomes inoperative.
EPFO Online Helpdesk for Inoperative EPF account
With a view to help employees with their inoperative EPF account, From January 2015, EPFO has launched a drive to help such account holders to trace their accounts and settle those by making payments or transferring money to their active accounts. To make it simpler, EPFO has launched an online helpdesk. It helps the EPF account holders trace them. In order to settle your old EPF account, you must have your Universal account number, UAN activated. Employees have to provide certain details such as company name, year of working etc and the helpdesk will assist in finding other details. After the members provide the details available with them about the inoperative accounts, a reference ID is generated that can be used for future reference and tracking.
You follow the steps given below to trace and settle your EPFO inoperative account help desk.
- Go to the website at wwww.epfindia.com
- Select Inoperative A/c Helpdesk. You skip an introductory page. Go on the link “First Time User Click here to proceed”.
- You describe your problem within 1000 words in a box provided as shown in image below. Then click on the “Next” button.
- A new page will be displayed. You provide information about your company, your personal information as needed. You can use Search Establishment to help you locate your old employer.
- Provide your customer (KYC) Information that includes PAN or Permanent Account Number, Aadhar number, Bank Account Number, IFSC Code etc.
- Once you provide all the necessary details, click on the “Generate PIN”. You will receive a PIN on your mobile number.
- Key in the PIN and a reference id will be generated and displayed on a screen. You note down the reference id as you will need it later if you have to check status later.
To Check Status of Your Inoperative Account
EPFO responds very quickly. To check your status, you go to ‘Existing User Click Here to view Status’ on the inoperative Inoperative A/c Helpdesk . Login by providing your reference id and mobile number.
In case if you have forgotten your reference number, you can select “Forgot Reference No” in Login. You have to provide Date of Birth in Personal Details.
So, if you EPF account have become inoperative, than you go to EPF account helpdesk and get it activated.
Inoperative EPF Account
If there is no contribution to your EPF account for 36 months, it becomes an inoperative or Dormant EPF account. You can visit helpdesk to activate it.